Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 31 Jul 2018
for the GEOMSF Project
Since 2013, MSF OCG has been providing Geographic Information System (GIS) services for their own operations and gradually for the whole MSF movement. GIS support has shown to improve programming in many areas: emergency mapping, epidemiological surveillance, natural disaster preparedness and response, program planning, logistics, and others.
To build on these successes, to accomplish the full potential of a GIS enabled environment and in order to increase the benefits of GIS for operations, existing services need to scale up. This requires a dedicated project – the GeoMSF project, which aims to leverage crosscutting geographic information to help operations and sectors gain an understanding of a situation and its spatial context.
Led by OCG, the project will draw on three years of experience of fulfilling requests for geographic data analysis, visualizations and maps to build a platform that will significantly upgrade staff members’ capacity in the field and at headquarters to easily analyse and view geo-referenced data from a) different contexts, b) sectors and c) points in time.
In order to manage its complexity and international context, the GeoMSF project will have a dedicated Program Manager and a team that will be structured around two streams:
- GeoMSF Business stream: to manage user relationship for successful definition of user needs and GIS services, develop e-learning, administer Core geo-database and bring complementary GIS skills to IT. This stream will be managed by a GeoMSF Business Project Manager.**
- GeoMSF Solutions stream: to define and implement different architectural aspects of the project (data, platform, and infrastructure) and to build the solutions that will support GIS services (Geoportal, GeoApps, and others) based on the clients’ inputs. This stream will be managed by a GeoMSF IT Project Manager.
Both project managers will report to the Program Manager according to the matrix of roles & responsibilities within the program.
The Data Specialist will be part of the GIS Solutions stream, with a direct reporting line to GeoMSF IT Project Manager.
The Data Specialist is in charge of all the project steps from capturing the demand of the lines of business to proposing and delivering fit-to purpose business solutions from business and GIS architecture point of view.
The Data Specialist will focus on GIS needs and solutions closely related to MSF operations within the context of GeoMSF program. Main tasks are :
- Collect and analyse geo-data related requirements from relevant stakeholders within MSF.
- Capture and document the processes (as-is and to-be, in relation data collection, exchange, integration, extraction, validation and privacy).
- Create adequate level of specifications that will suffice for overall GeoMSF project, with a focus on geodata.
- Identify missing functionalities and requirements and identify possible solutions for the GeoMSF project.
- Ensure quality assurance and testing of functionality developed by technical team is of the highest standards
- Collaborate and coordinate with GeoMSF business team to structure data as needed by the GeoMSF project.
- Provide end-user functional support during implementation phase
- Identify the solutions existing on the market and used by other organizations, analyse their fit to GeoMSF needs and provide recommendations with appropriate justification.
- Design or identify solutions that will fit in a tactical approach or in the long-term strategy of the GIS Unit and ensure their fit in the overall IT landscape.
- Liaise with IT Project Manager – GeoMSF project and commission solutions.
Education & Training
- Bachelors or Master’s Degree in geomatics (strongly preferred), or related field (i.e. engineering, information systems with orientation in geomatics)
- Recognized data management / business analysis curriculum
- 3-5 years as data analyst or business analyst
- Experience in GIS solutions, products and implementations
- Experience in user centric design of webapps/mobile tools
- Experience in overall GIS data management and governance principles
- Data migration strategy
- Data integration tools and considerations for internal and external data sources
- Data validation rules
- Data privacy design
- Data extraction
- Experience in an international and/or humanitarian environnment
- Strong analysis skills
- Strong capacity to capture the demands of the lines of business and transform them into solutions
- Ability to recognize and analyze technical impact of GIS requirements within the IT landscape / architecture (Databases, datawarehouses, datamarts, BI, interfaces and integration, middleware…)
- Experience with DBMS technology such as SQL Server, DB2, Oracle, and Access
- Expertise in mobile solutions, online/offline solutions
- Strong business analysis skills
- Capacity to interact and communicate with internal and external project teams/consultants/staff
- Strong capacity to manage expectations and convince senior management and stakeholders in a matrix organization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Strongly customer oriented
- Outstanding capacity to deliver
- Excellent team player/team leader
- Quality and results oriented
- Committed to MSF values
- Fluent in both French and English
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract of 31 months, full-time position (CDM 100%)
- Based in Geneva, with occasional travels
- Ideal starting date: 15th August 2018
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 90’576.- to CHF 103’932.- (salary commensurate with experience and internal salary grid)
How to apply:
How to apply
Interested candidates should forward by email only their application (CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – French or English – 5MB max) to firstname.lastname@example.org stating in the subject line «GeoMSF DataSpec 2018.07».
The deadline for applications is 31st July 2018.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details on the job offer or MSF, please visit our website: http://www.msf.ch/travailler-avec-nous/