Organization: Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces
Closing date: 31 Jul 2019
The Geneva Centre for the Democratic Control of Armed Forces (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF’s Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
For our Europe and Central Asia Division, we are looking for a dynamic and highly qualified expert to be our next:
Project Coordinator (100%)
Starting date: mid-September 2019
Duration: 6 months (maternity replacement)
Good governance in cybersecurity in countries of Southeast and Eastern Europe has undergone important transformations in recent years. DCAF has contributed to these processes by supporting better accountability and effectiveness of cybersecurity. The Cybersecurity Programme in DCAF’s Europe and Central Asia Division has worked with policy makers and oversight actors to raise their awareness on cybersecurity policy development and oversight. The Programme has also worked closely with key cybersecurity actors such as CERTs to increase their ability to strengthen national cyber resilience and increase regional cooperation. Another focus of the Programme is the development of knowledge products gathering best practices on the roles and responsibilities of private and public cybersecurity actors.
To support the development and implementation of its activities addressing good governance in cybersecurity in Europe and Central Asia, with a particular focus on the Western Balkan region, DCAF is recruiting a Project Coordinator to be stationed at its Headquarters in Geneva. This is a senior professional position for someone with at least 7 years relevant work experience at an international level advising on and managing governance programs in the area of institutional capacity building and policy development in the defence and security sector or a related field.
Key areas of responsibility include:
o Oversee and coordinate the implementation of the project work plans
o Develop concepts and agendas for project activities
o Co-organise and attend project activities, such as workshops, seminars and conferences
o Contribute to project events as speaker, facilitator or moderator, if necessary
o Oversee and control project finances
o Coordinate the implementation of the project M+E plan
o Ensure the high quality of project M+E activities
o Coordinate, contribute to, and ensure the high quality of donor reporting
· Masters degree in political science, international relations, law or a related field
· Minimum 7 years of professional experience, preferably in working on issues of democratization and good governance in cybersecurity, with a particular focus on oversight and accountability
· Extensive experience in results oriented project management and the development and implementation of capacity building programmes comprising the organisation of conferences, workshops and tailor-made training activities; excellent knowledge of project management cycle
· Knowledge of cybersecurity governance challenges and best practices and ability to develop capacity building concepts in this area is considered an asset
· Proven experience in managing project teams
· Strong organisational skills with the ability to work under pressure and under tight deadlines
· Excellent command of written and spoken English is essential
· Excellent drafting and editing skills
· Knowledge of at least one South East European / Eastern European language is considered an asset
Swiss or EU citizenship or a valid work permit for Switzerland at the time of application is a pre-requisite.
· a rewarding, dynamic and challenging work experience
· the chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and values-driven people.
· the chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
How to apply:
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to ECArecruitment@dcaf.ch by 31/07/2019 with the subject heading Project Coordinator ECA, enclosing:
• a one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
• a concise CV (maximum two pages)
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.