Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 24 Mar 2019
Position Title : Project Officer
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, one year with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 24 March 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Cook Islands, Cuba, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Fiji, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Grenada, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Iceland, Kiribati, Comoros, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Lao People’s Democratic Republic (the), Saint Lucia, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Palau, Paraguay, Solomon Islands, Seychelles, Suriname, Sao Tome and Principe, Kingdom of Eswatini, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Within the Department of Migration Management (DMM), Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division, the Immigration and Visas (IV) Unit provides at the request of and in agreement with Member States, immigration and visa policy guidance and expertise as well as technical and operational solutions related to immigration, consular and visa-related matters. The work of the unit focusses on facilitating safe, regular and orderly migration and mobility, in support of the following: a) the IOM Constitution in relation to providing migration services including processing; b) the IOM Member State Strategy in relation to providing secure, reliable, flexible and cost-effective services for persons who require international migration assistance; c) the IOM Migration Governance Framework by assisting States to provide safe and regular access to available migration channels, including implementing well administered visa and entry schemes with limited wait times and reasonable fees; d) the UN Sustainable Development Goals, Goal
10, Target 7 which seeks to facilitate orderly, safe and responsible migration and mobility of people, including through the implementation of planned and well-managed migration policies; and e) the Global Compact for Migration, primarily Objective 3 which references the need to facilitate accurate information and access to visas, with pathways that respond to the needs of migrants, and Objective 5 which calls for States to enhance availability and flexibility of pathways for regular migration.
The programme portfolio of the unit currently includes the management of a global network of centres which facilitate visa application processing for Member States including Canada, the
United Kingdom, Germany, Brazil and Chile. Over 300 IOM staff work on these programmes, assisting hundreds of thousands of migrants annually with all forms of visa applications including temporary, permanent and/or humanitarian visa applications to include family reunification visas
Situated with the Immigration and Visas (IV) Unit, under the overall supervision of the Senior Specialist, Immigration and Visas and the direct supervision of the Project Coordinator, Canada Visa Application Centres, the successful candidate will support and assist the daily management of the global Canada Visa Application Centre (CVAC) and regional United Kingdom Visa Application Centre (UKVAC) projects.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, International Relations, Law, Migration Studies, Social Studies or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience in the visa application and visa issuance process of governments;
• Experience in the service delivery to migrants and governments;
• Strong computer literacy in MS Office especially MS Excel.
IOM’s official languages are English, French and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the
ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 24 March 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 11.03.2019 to 24.03.2019
Requisition: VN 2019/58 (P) – Project Officer (P2) – Geneva, Switzerland (55863082) Released
Posting: Posting NC55863085 (55863085) Released