Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 18 Oct 2018
Public Relations Officer
The Public Relations Officer reports to the Chief of Section (Events, Campaigns and Goodwill Ambassadors) and works closely with the PSP Officers and Communication Officers at Headquarters and field. S/He will have extensive contact with a wide variety of external audiences ranging PR agencies, celebrities, new media personnel, public-at-large, scholars, staff from other UN organizations in the context of disseminating information and gathering support for UNHCR’s activities.
- UNHCR campaigns and events have high impact media coverage.
- Implement a diverse range of PR tactics including, media and stakeholder relations, events, digital and experiential.
- Act as liaison for campaign and events for PR work with Goodwill Ambassador Team and with Private Sector Fundraising initiatives.
- Support the development of digital toolkits destined for both internal and external use and which support specific campaigns.
- Oversee advance campaign planning and programming, including measuring results of key performance indicators and key message penetration targets, establishing media monitoring and message tracking where feasible.
- Present creative PR insights to deepen and broaden the annual PR campaign programme; develop creative news hooks’ and ideas to capture the media’s imagination and generate increased media coverage.
- Manage external creative agencies in the delivery of campaign assets, including the creative concepts and actual campaign assets including toolkits, digital materials and printed materials against tight deadlines.
- Report campaign results against set key performance indicators as established by the supervisor.
- Manage media during events such as the Nansen Refugee Award.
- Support management of external agencies and partners, including corporate partners, marketing, PR, digital, web and design agencies.
- Support management of third party / agency contracts, including pro bono agreements.
- Support the development of the annual digital strategy; ensure it is integrated into the annual PR programme.
- Champion new media trends and developments and advocate new creative platforms.
- Assist with the editing, writing and presentation of all communications documents.
- Maintain, manage and develop media (including digital) contacts and oversee all campaign media sell ins¿.
- Media manage high profile campaign events or press conferences, photographers press area, media room etc.
- Provide guidance to field offices to secure local media coverage.
- Draft event materials including briefing documents, key messages, FAQs and Q&As.
- In consultation with the social media team, develop social media strategies to amplify campaign and event.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Create statements of work for external partners with specific Terms of Reference (TORs).
- Draft requests for proposals with specific services and TORs.
- Draft Press releases and media advisories for events and campaigns.
- Engage in discussions with external entities that could result in media partnerships, media placement or media promotion that are connected to campaigns and events.
- Be a spokesperson for specific campaigns and events.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
- Undergraduate degree in Communications, Public Information, Political Science, International Relations or related fields plus minimum 6 years of progressively responsible functions in Public Relations, marketing and branding. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master’s) plus 5 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 4 years of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
- Demonstrated functional experience and familiarity dealing with communication agencies, media relations, advocacy campaigns, celebrities’ event management, digital and grassroots campaigns and external relations.
- Highly developed written communication skills, including ability to package and convey campaign, events and PR messages.
- Solid and proven ability to develop and implement PR/new media/communication strategies.
- Solid network of contacts with PR, media, branding parties.
- Proven/demonstrated ability to work against very tight deadlines/under pressure and proven multi-tasking skills.
- Excellent skills in writing, editing and verbal skills.
- Proficiency in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Broad knowledge of various channels and assets ranging from new media, brand assets, communication agencies, partnerships pro bono, graphics and layout.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
How to apply:
Interested candidates should apply at: https://bit.ly/2xS7GvW.
To view all vacancies, please go to the UNHCR Career Page at www.unhcr.org/careers.
Deadline for applications: 18 October 2018 (midnight Geneva time).
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.