Organization: Inter-Parliamentary Union
Closing date: 07 Sep 2018
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships
Reporting to the Director of Communications, the Web and Social Media Editor will contribute to the development, management and execution of the digital components of the Communications Strategy to maximize the impact of the IPU’s communications. She/He will be in charge of the IPU’s day–to-day web and social media presence, including planning, creating and editing engaging content for use across multiple internal and external platforms. She/he will analyze performance and implement best practice and lessons learned to continually evolve and improve the IPU’s online presence.
- Implement and help develop the web and social media component of the IPU’s Communications Strategy;
- Oversee and optimize the IPU’s web and social media presence, in English and in French primarily, as well as Spanish and Arabic, on each platform to increase the IPU’s visibility;
- Project manage relationships with service providers, both technical and editorial, to develop new sections and functions;
- Plan, create, commission and edit engaging, innovative content designed to maximize reach and impact for key audiences, in coordination with other stakeholders;
- Monitor and measure traffic on social media channels, and search engine optimization;
- Produce and interpret web and social media analytics to inform strategy and work plans;
- Collaborate with stakeholders, both internally and externally, on web and social media messaging, promotion and engagement strategies;
- Provide social media guidelines, training and coaching for IPU stakeholders to use and integrate social media into their work;
- Support other IPU divisions in updating content and functionalities of other IPU platforms including New Parline.
Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
- IPU Secretariat Staff;
- President, Secretary General, and Senior Management;
- Communications staff of other organizations;
- Communications staff of members.
- Communication: Good knowledge of and practical experience in communications approaches, tools and methodologies essential to planning and managing effective media strategies; e.g. campaign management, media operations, marketing and promotion, audience outreach. Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audiences;
- Professionalism: Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matters. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations and has the ability to work under pressure while maintaining high levels of production and quality. Has a good knowledge of administrative procedures;
- Teamwork: works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals and foster a cohesive team environment. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Supports and acts in accordance with final decision taken for the group, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Is able to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
- Planning & organizing: develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- Client orientation: establishes and maintains productive partnerships with other units within the Organization by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies their needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Keeps them informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timelines for the delivery of services;
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Uses discretion and confidentiality;
- Technological awareness: Proficient in office applications.
- 5 years digital communications experience, as an online journalist or with an international organization;
- Fluent English/excellent French written and oral communications skills;
- Technical understanding of website infrastructure and ability to trouble shoot when necessary;
- Strong knowledge of international relations and politics desirable;
- Knowledge of parliaments desirable;
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism, a communications-related discipline, or international relations and politics.
Duties applicable to all staff
Actively work towards the achievement of the IPU’s strategic objectives. Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the Director of Communications and the Secretary General.
The Inter-Parliamentary Union offers an attractive salary and benefits package comparable to that of other international organizations headquartered in Geneva, commensurate with education and experience.
Indicative Annual Salary at the P-2 level (net of tax)
USD 46’472 at single rate (plus allowance for primary dependents if applicable).
Plus 79.32% (July 2018 rate) of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
For further information, please consult the International Civil Service Commission website: http://icsc.un.org/
How to apply:
This position will be filled through an international recruitment process that will be open to internal and external applicants. From among equally qualified candidates, preference will be given to the under-represented sex and persons from countries not represented in the Secretariat.
This position will be based in Geneva and will require frequent travelling. It will be for an initial period of two years, renewable depending on satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
Applications should be addressed to the:
Director, Support Services
5, chemin du Pommier
Case postale 330
CH-1218 Le Grand-Saconnex, Switzerland
Tel: 41 22 919 4150
Fax: 41 22 919 4160
In order to ensure prompt and efficient processing of your application, you are required to provide, along with your resume and IPU Job application form (available at http://www.ipu.org/finance-e/vacancy.htm ), a detailed covering letter explaining how you meet each of the requirements of the position with concrete examples.
Applicants will be contacted only if they are under serious consideration. Applications received after the deadline will not be accepted.