Organization: International Committee of the Red Cross
Closing date: 30 Jul 2018
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
This role will be reporting to two different managers:
- 50% – Publications Manager
- 50% – Communication Adviser
The ICRC’s Communication and Information Management Department is offering a one-year paid traineeship at its headquarters in Geneva.
The traineeship will be split 50/50 between two areas of activity as follows:
- Firstly, in close collaboration with HQ colleagues, assist the Senior Communication Advisor in leading the development of communication strategies, tools and guidelines for the ICRC’s communication corporate services network (Digital, AV, Print, Translations) delivered by Regional Communication Centres (RCCs) in the field;
- Secondly, work with the Publications team to support coordination between HQ production and the Regional Communication Centres in the field (through the Global Production Network). This essentially involves contributing to the planning and supervision of field budgets and policies; reinforcing production capacities in the field; and generating professional, innovative and efficient communication tools and workflow at HQ and regional level.
Our ideal candidate is creative and motivated to strengthen their skills and experience relating to the production of communication strategies and guidelines, and the management and administration of HQ and field production activities (budgeting, planning and producing publications and PDFs) in an international and multicultural humanitarian organization.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
1. Communication support
- Contribute to the drafting key documents such as the ‘Promotional Items Guideline’, ‘Identification items Guideline’ and other policies to be implemented at global level.
- Contribute to the development of communication strategies with regard to the launch and promotion of such documents.
- Support the Senior Communication Advisor in monitoring changes and implementing the RCCs’ organizational model.
- Support the organization of internal workshops.
- Manage the development and content of the RCCs’ intranet space on the CMS.
- Support the RCCs’ staff on day-to-day questions in the above domain.
2. Field Production
- Coordinate with and support the field in the planning and supervision of their production budgets, in conjunction with the finance division.
- Create tools and infographics to illustrate key statistics.
- Develop new training material for production workshops and support field colleagues in implementing the revised and updated corporate Visual Identity.
3. HQ Production
- Support the Publication Manager in managing publications (updates or new projects) from start to finish and take full responsibility for certain projects, liaising between HQ units and external agencies to achieve timely completion of individual projects.
- Keep an overview of the ongoing projects and update relevant supervision tools, by working with the Teamworks project management tool: open new projects, fill in key data, upload files, etc.; collect and sift information from various sources; photo correction management.
- Support the implementation of the revised and updated corporate Visual Identity relating to HQ publications.
- Occasional back up to the Distribution Officer to respond to publication orders in the e-shop.
Certifications / Education required
University degree in communications/marketing or relevant work experience.
Professional Experience required
- Experience in the management of communication projects
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office tools; excellent command of Excel mandatory
- Knowledge of design/layout principles, including corporate visual identity
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat Pro and Publisher is an advantage
- Knowledge of online creative tools (e.g. Piktochart)
Desired profile and skills
- Excellent command of English and French (oral and written)
- Enthusiast, good interpersonal and service-oriented skills
- Sense of initiative, autonomy and organization; able to report to two supervisors in different units
- Critical approach and keen eye for detail
- Strong project management and coordination skills
- A good knowledge of CMS for further training on Rhythmyx
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Type of role: Traineeship
- Length of assignment : 12 months
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 01/10/2018
- Application deadline: 30/07/2018
How to apply:
To apply, please visit: https://bit.ly/2N3po51