Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 21 Jun 2018
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
TERMS OF REFERENCE FOR DIGITAL COMMUNICATION CONSULTANT
Communication Section, UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO)
Start date: 15 August, 2018
End date: 31 July 2019
Duration: 11.5 months
Location: Geneva, Switzerland at the UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional Office*
*Possible for this position to be home-based, but preference will be given to candidates who can work out of the UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional office in Geneva
Reporting to: UNICEF Communication Specialist, Communication Section, UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional Office
BACKGROUND AND CONTEXT
The UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECARO) seeks a bilingual (English and Russian) digital communication expert, where possible to based in Geneva, to manage and expand the Office’s digital communication channels.
UNICEF ECARO’s English language website www.unicef.org/eca was launched in early 2018 to serve as a primary channel of digital communication. The Office is now focused on leveraging this platform, as well as ECARO’s current social media channels to help achieve UNICEF’s advocacy goals in the Region. In parallel, the Communication Section is working to expand its digital presence among Russian-speaking audiences including through the launch of the Russian language version website and creation of relevant Russian language social media channels. Amplifying youth voices, and leveraging digital influencers and media from across the Region is also a related priority.
The purpose of this assignment is to strengthen the Regional Office’s digital presence in both English and Russian, including through amplifying the voices of young people and leveraging digital influencers. This work will be done alongside RO and Country Offices (COs) teams, young people in the Region and partners – all with the aim of achieving UNICEF’s advocacy objectives for children in Europe and Central Asia.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Digital Communication Consultant will be responsible for supporting the creation and crafting of compelling digital content to engage English and Russian language audiences in a dynamic, interactive and meaningful way to help achieve UNICEF’s advocacy objectives across the Region.
She/he will manage and plan the editorial calendar for the ECARO English website and social media channels (Twitter, Facebook and YouTube). This work will involve curating content from COs and editing this content for regional platforms. The Consultant will also assist to “regionalize” social media content created by UNICEF Headquarters to make it directly relevant and palatable for audiences in Europe and Central Asia. The Consultant will lead on building, launching and managing the Russian language version of the website, as well as drafting and implementing a Russian language digital outreach strategy. She/he will also be responsible for ongoing monitoring of digital key performance indicators (KPI) and web/social media analytics tools.
Working under the direct supervision of the Regional Communication Specialist, and guidance from the Regional Chief of Communication, the Digital Consultant will be fully provided with opportunities to be creative, innovative and drive new ideas.
– In collaboration with the RO Chief of Communication, Communication Specialist and ECA COs Communication leads, oversee the day-to-day updating and monitoringof the Regional Digital Editorial Calendar, ensuring it is aligned with regionwide and global priorities.
– Manage the UNICEF ECARO Website. This includes publication of new content, ensuring data/statistics are updated.
– Work with COs to write and edit human interest stories, photos essays, blogs and other digital materials (including advising on video production) for RO English and Russian web and social media channels in line with the Regional editorial calendar.
– Regularly come up with ideas for engaging social media content, especially those that include amplifying the voices of children and youth, working with relevant colleagues to assess feasibility. – Actively participate in meetings, helping guide digital editorial processes. – Help develop and implement informed, cross-platform social media and digital marketing strategies and support management to make informed decisions regarding digital strategy. – Monitor and moderate social media channels, flagging risk and opportunities to deepen engagement. – Identify new digital tools and best practices and how these can be most effectively applied to deepen engagement with supporters. – Keep track of efforts and activities of other UN agencies, nonprofits and competitors.
EXPANSION OF RUSSIAN LANGUAGE DIGITAL ASSETS
– Research and draft a Russian language digital outreach strategy. – Build and manage Russian language version of the UNICEF Europe and Central Asia Regional website. – Manage UNICEFâ€™s Russian language social media accounts. – Liaise closely with Russian speaking COs to curate Russian language content. – Support on the coordination of Russian translation of UNICEF created content (social media packs, videos etc.)
DIGITAL INFLUENCER OUTREACH
– In collaboration with the RO Communication Specialist, undertake an assessment of regional digital influencers and online media. – Based on assessment findings draft outreach strategy for digital influencers and implement with RO Chief of Communication Chief and Communication Specialist. YOUTH ENGAGEMENT
-Help build “Youth” section of the UNICEF ECA RO website – in English and Russian – incorporating innovative tools such as U-Report and Voices of Youth.
– Monitor and measure digital key performance indicators as set out by UNICEF RO as part of the global KPIs.
– And other related tasks upon request.
Fluency in both English and Russian languages (written and spoken) is highly desirable.
3+ years experience working on social media, digital marketing and editorial production for an NGO, global company or publishing outlet. Experience in developing and implementing social media or digital marketing strategies. Proven ability to write flawless copy in both English and Russian on tight deadlines. Proven copy editing skills in English and Russian. Adept at using a wide range of social media platforms. Experience of blogging and knowledge of best practices. Experience using Drupal or similar CMS a must. Knowledge of social media monitoring technology and can use social media measurement and listening tools. Experience using Google Analytics. Proven ability to manage multiple priorities within specified timeframes. Proven skills in communication, networking, strategic thinking, advocacy, negotiation, and ability to relate to a young audience. Strong awareness of social media communication behaviours in Eastern and Central Europe and Central Asia Region, including Russian speaking audiences. Consistently achieves high-level results, managing and delivering projects on-time. Proven ability to conceptualize, plan and execute ideas. Awareness of best practices in user experience and design. Experience working for UNICEF an asset.
Bachelor Degree, ideally in social science, international affairs, marketing or communication. Masters preferred but not essential.
Remarks: Please indicate your monthly rate in USD to undertake this TOR. Applications without a proposed fee will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=513650