Organization: International Committee of the Red Cross
Closing date: 28 May 2018
Reports to (role)
The Associate will work in the Division for Cooperation and Coordination within the Movement and directly report to the Head of Project for Statutory Meetings. The project team is responsible for organizing key meetings of the red cross and red crescent, and for managing the ICRC’s participation in those meetings. Its main task will be to prepare for the 2019 International Conference of the Red Cross and Red Crescent, a quadrennial event gathering the world’s largest humanitarian network and the States Parties to the Geneva Conventions of 1949.
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate international activities conducted in these situations.
The Associate will support the Division in the preparations for the 2019 International Conference. The Associate’s responsibilities will include event management and promotion, project management and liaising with diverse stakeholders at the ICRC, across the Movement, and externally.
Accountabilities & Functional responsibilities
- ICRC focal point for the publication of the official records of the meetings
- ICRC focal point for pledges made at the 32nd International Conference, including joint management of the pledge database with the International Federation
- ICRC focal point for the reporting on implementation of commitments made at the Conference and Council (resolutions and pledges), including the management of the new online reporting system
- Support the organisation and running of preparatory meetings (internal and external)
- Support the Head of Project for Movement meetings in carrying various administrative tasks, including document management, communications with National Societies, governments and other partners regarding the Conference and Council
- Support the ICRC’s work reviewing the format of and tools used for previous meetings and making recommendations about their future adaptation – including formal sessions, side events, exhibitions, and the organisation structures
- Support the Head of Project for Movement meetings in carrying out his tasks, including the production of briefing, presentation and promotional materials for a range of target audiences (internal and external)
- Carry out research and analysis tasks related to substantive issues managed by the Division on request.
Certifications / Education required
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. international relations, international law)
Professional Experience required
- Previous experience with international meetings/events an advantage
- Work experience with an international organisation or government an advantage
- Prior experience with a component of the Movement (National Societies, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies or the ICRC) an advantage
- Understanding of database/website architecture, design and management an advantage
- No more than one year of paid professional experience
Desired profile and skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to tailor messages to various audiences.
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of French. Additional languages, particularly Spanish or Arabic an advantage
- Strong presentation skills
- Developed organisational and analytical skills; experience of research and report writing, including the formulation of recommendations
- Strong interpersonal skills and intereste in developing relationships with network of internal and external stakeholders
- IT skills, including familiarity with Excel and Power Point
- Demonstrable interest in humanitarian action, the ICRC and other components of the Movement
- Type of role: Traineeship
- Length of assignment : 1 year
- Working rate: 100%
- Starting date: 18/06/2018
- Application deadline: Please submit CV and writing sample (less than 15 pages, unedited) by 28/05/2018
How to apply:
To apply, please visit: http://bit.ly/2rH5BzM