Closing date: 16 Jul 2018
Manage financial support of Medair Country Programmes through direction, coordination and guidance provided to the Finance teams both at HQ and in the Field offices. By developing and strengthening professional skills of the Finance Programmes team, the FPM manage effectively and efficiently donor financial budgets, reporting and audits. In addition, the FPM supervises grant management and provides monthly feedback on financial performance to key stakeholders (HQ Directors, Country Directors, Heads of Country Programmes).
Medair Finance Department consists of the HQ Finance team and the Finance Programmes team. The incumbent is the head of the Finance Programmes team that is composed of two regional groups of Finance Programmes Officers who report to a Finance Team Leader each. These leaders report to the Finance Programmes Manager. In addition, the FPM manages the Grand Management Coordinator as well as the Finance Audit Leader and the Financial Systems Analyst.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Team management & training
- Lead the Finance Programmes Team to enable them for best possible covering of their tasks.
- Be responsible for organizing and supervising the daily work of the team, providing back-ups and support as needed.
- Work closely with the Finance Director, Finance Team Leaders and HR when filling open team positions, keeping up-to-date job descriptions, roles assignments and managing the performance evaluations.
- Work with HR and a designated training officer to ensure proper training is provided to the team.
Financial management and support of Medair Country Programmes
- Contribute to the development of Country Programmes strategy by providing financial analysis for informed decision making. Be in charge of the global Country budget structure including analysis on funding for the planned actions. Give advice to Programmes on fund management methodology, structure and best ways to optimize the use of resources.
Budgeting, expense control, and forecasting
- Contribute to the development of the annual Finance Programmes department budget (HQ) and the annual field portfolio budgeting. Oversee the financial review of all field budgets including base, project and donor budgets. Control expenses and refunds for all transactions falling under his/her responsibility. Review all field payment disbursement forms up to the authorization limit. Oversee the recording of all capitalized assets used on the field and their annual depreciation. Ensure that the Field asset inventories are reconciled with the booked account balances. Provide regular forecasts to the Directors regarding annual portfolio and use of private funding.
Oversee field accounting
- Supervise the processing of all field related financial transactions that occur in the field and ensure their timely and accurate recording in the accounting system. Ensure that processing is done in accordance with the current policies and procedures documented in the Finance Manual. Ensure that all monthly closing processes are completed (e.g. reconciliations of bank balances, internal transfers, and asset related postings).
Grant Management & Donor reporting
- Support and supervise the monthly fund closing process which includes the booking of grant revenue and contingent asset adjustments. Review the status of all field grants that are still open. Review and authorize reallocation of expenses to/from donor grants as required. Ensure that new grants or amendments are booked in the financial system. Ensure that all cash instalments received are correctly allocated to grants.
- Oversee and review all field donor reports to ensure that they are reconciled to the accounting balances and comply with the specific donor requirements.
Analysis & reporting
- Provide financial analysis and reports to management as required. Ensure reliability of financial information provided in the financial system.
- Support the preparation of donor audits, assist the General Accounting Manager in the annual legal audit. Follow-up on auditor’s recommendations on financial and internal control matters.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in Finance and/or Accounting
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French is an asset.
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum of 8 years work experience in a finance position required.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office (especially Excel) and good understanding in user application of accounting software.
- Needs to show commitment to best practice.
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity, respect for cultural diversity.
- Flexible, resilient, able to perform in stressful situations.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
How to apply:
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for International Headquarters staff.
- Benefits Package provided for International Headquarters staff.
Then to apply, go to http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/finance-programmes-manager-ch-hq-1/ then:
a) apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
b) apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed. Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.