Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 07 Jan 2018
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. Purpose for the job
The Senior ICT Assistant is accountable for the delivery of effective and efficient technical and operational assistance in the administration, maintenance, documentation, and monitoring of all business applications owned and used by Geneva based divisions and their partners. The incumbent supports that effective and efficient operation of business applications and related services, including backend database management and operational support is maintained, to ensure minimal down time and maximum productivity. The Senior ICT Assistant identifies risks and emerging faults in order to enhance performance, capacity, scalability, security, and fault tolerance.
How can you make a difference?
Assist the Head of Applications Support Unit in the followings:
- Maintaining high standards of business application operations and services through continuous optimization, performance monitoring and standard compliance in line with business imperatives and changing needs
- Maintaining robust backend systems and perform database administration related tasks
- Maintaining management information platform to support business performance monitoring and analysis, and business intelligence management
- Foster innovation through technology
1.Maintaining high standards of business application operations and services through continuous optimization, performance monitoring and standard compliance in line with business imperatives and changing needs**
- Participate and provide inputs to the review and analysis of business requirements for technology applications;
- Provide technical inputs to the design of quality attributes and development of applications architecture in coordination with ICT-Geneva Technical Support Unit as well as ICTD-NYHQ Technical Architecture;
- Provide technical support for applications configuration and maintenance, and in coordination with ICT-Geneva Technical Support Unit ensure the infrastructure capacity to meet the business requirements;
- Monitor system performance and apply proactive measures to sustain or improve performance standard; and provide regular reports regarding performance status, risks, issues, and make recommendations for remediation.
- Assist in providing guidance and support to business users, and perform troubleshooting analysis and resolution for application problems and liaise with vendors as and when necessary;
- In coordination with the other resources in ICT-Geneva Application Support Unit, assist in performing impact analysis on changes and provide technical support to the change management process;
- Perform applications related administration tasks to maintain applications availability, enhanced services and security; and provide regular reports regarding availability status, risks, issues, and make recommendations for remediation;
- Maintain the technical environment for application development, test and production landscape, and ensure proper access and permission as well as transport flow;
2. Maintaining robust backend systems and perform database administration related tasks
- In coordination with ICT-Geneva Technical Support Unit and ICTD-NYHQ Technical Architecture, develop and maintain the back-end infrastructure for business applications, and apply proactive measures to sustain or improve performance standard;
- Assist in identifying database requirements, analyzing applications needs for database, evaluating existing systems, and translating the logical design into specific data models;
- Recommend database physical and logical structure as well as functional capabilities, database security, backup and recovery specifications;
- Maintain database performance by optimizing database parameters, completing maintenance requirements, evaluating and monitoring database server storage capacity and processing power;
- Enhance database availability, security and integrity as well as service levels by establishing routine maintenance procedures, and developing and managing backup and recovery plans;
- Assist in maintaining database documentation, including database infrastructure, data standards, procedures and definitions for the metadata;
3. Maintaining management information platform to support business performance monitoring and analysis, and business intelligence management
- Assist in identifying business requirements for management information and in developing and maintaining the related conceptual, logical and structural data models;
- In coordination with ICT-Geneva Technical Support Unit, maintain and optimize the data warehouse infrastructure and business intelligence platform architecture for both internal users and partners (e.g. National Committee and Country Offices users);
- Design the integration processes and implement ETL procedures for inbound data from various applications sources and ensure data flow is regular, data is verified, and quality is checked as defined by the business requirements;
- Design and implement data architecture and ETL processes to ensure proper functioning of dashboard, analytics and reporting environments;
- Review logs and carry out monitoring and tuning related tasks as well as performance analysis, and apply proactive measures to sustain or improve performance standard;
- Assist in maintaining technical design and data structure specifications documentation;
- Assist in developing user guidance materials and in conducting user training, and as well as in supporting end-users
4. Foster innovation through technology
- Assist in identifying capability gaps in the business applications landscape and business support, and exploring new ways of delivering additional values by exploring standard and emerging technologies; and by performing custom coding tasks as and when required;
- In coordination with members of the ICT-Geneva section, evaluate and maintain in-house initiatives and ensure maintenance and support;
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and benchmarking best practices;
The recruitment process for GS positions is subject to local recruitment regulations. UNICEF may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status in Switzerland or who have the right to reside in neighbouring France and within commuting distance.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Results (LII)
- Communication (LII)
- Working with People (LII)
- Planning and Organising (LII)
- Applying Technical Expertise (LII)
- Analysing (LII)
- Following Instrutions and Procedures (LII)
- Completion of Secondary education preferably supplemented with formal training at university level in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems or equivalent; Business Administration, Engineering or related field with training in software development, database management, or cloud computing.
- Additional Information Technology related industry certification an asset.
- Seven years practical work experience in information technology, including systems administration and operations, network computing, application development, systematic methods of troubleshooting and analytical problem solving, and providing assistance to users on IT services.
- Good knowledge and understanding of Sharepoint Designer, Visual Studio and Team Foundation Server; Sharepoint add-ins and Azure hosted apps;
- Experience in Software Development Life Cycle methodologies (particularly Agile Scrum).
- Experience in data and process integration, techniques and related tools;
- Good knowledge of MS SQL and related services (replication, analysis, reporting, integration etc.) is a plus;
- A global concept of the functioning of ICT and UNICEF
- UN/UNICEF experience will be highly desirable
- Fluency in English. Any other UN official language(Arabic, Chinese, Russian or Spanish) would be an asset.
- Knowledge of French language is desirable
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation. **
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=509880