Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 14 Jan 2018
1. General Background
As part of the Division of Emergency, Security and Supply (DESS), the Emergency Preparedness Section is established to mainstream emergency preparedness throughout operations and at headquarters.
This internship offers a unique opportunity to work in the emergency team of UNHCR, in close contact with UNHCR Emergency Stand-by teams who are constantly deployed to emergency operations and to participate in global early warning as well as in depth analysis linked to risk of future situations of concern to UNHCR.
We seek a dynamic and driven individual with a strong interest in refugee issues, conflict and strong skills in political and conflict analysis for an unpaid internship of 6 months.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The intern will provide support to the Emergency Preparedness Team in:
1) Weekly horizon scanning and production of updates and analytic papers on early warning situations
2) Update and support the management of the High Alert List for Emergency Preparedness (HALEP)
3) Finalize the Preparedness Package for Refugee Emergencies (PPRE) currently under review.
4) Participate in meetings related to emergency preparedness and response
5) Support emergency task forces if required
6) Support the team in performing other tasks as required
4. Qualifications and Experience
a. Education (Level and area of required and/or preferred education)
b. Work Experience
c. Key Competencies
The intern is expected to begin as of the 1st of February 2018 and be available for at least three months, although preference is for a longer internship (6 months).
The role is full time (40 hours per week) with 8 working hours per day Monday to Friday.
Please note that the terms of internship as defined by UNHCR practice, preclude payment of any kind.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit their letter of motivation (max 1 page), Personal History Form (P11), including testimonials/degrees/certificates to HQESHALEP@unhcr.org indicating “Emergency Preparedness Internship” in the subject of the email.
Only complete applications will be considered and shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.
P11 forms are available on www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc