Organization: International Rescue Committee
Closing date: 18 Jan 2018
This position can be based in New York, Geneva or London.
Over the past 80 years, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) has developed unparalleled expertise in responding to emergencies and helping uprooted communities to rebuild. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC’s mission is to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. The International Rescue Committee UK is part of the IRC global network, which has its headquarters in New York and London. The IRC is on the ground in more than 40 countries, providing emergency relief and rebuilding lives in the wake of disaster. Through 28 regional offices in cities across the United States, the IRC also helps refugees resettle in the US and become self-sufficient. The IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and, most crucially, accountability to those we serve. The IRC is a tireless advocate for the most vulnerable.
Working in partnership with local and national civil society organizations is fundamental to the IRC’s mission to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover and gain control of their future. Effective local partnerships enable the IRC to pursue the strategic objectives set out in IRC 2020, resulting in more effective, responsive and durable assistance that reaches more people and produces better outcomes for our clients. Investing in local civil society organizations not only recognizes those organizations as allies in achieving the IRC’s core outcomes, but also as catalysts and drivers of change.
The Senior Compliance Officer of Subawards & Partnerships will contribute to IRC being a global leader in the humanitarian arena for partnerships by ensuring that the IRC Subaward &Partnership process: is executed in accordance with IRC statutory donors rules and regulations and the IRC Subaward Partner Management System (SPMS); builds the knowledge and capacity of IRC staff in developing, executing and monitoring mutually beneficial partnerships and; enhances and builds the capacity of partner organizations.
- Act as the compliance focal point for all IRC subawards managing a team that ensures robust subaward management, organization wide, by advising on internal policies and donor compliance as it relates to subawards;
- Serve as IRC’s in-house SPMS/subaward expert and oversee the implementation of SPMS and providing technical support on the SPMS by helping country programs establish complaint subaward management systems;
- Work in partnership with the SPMS Development Team on the completion and roll-out of the final chapters of SPMS and when complete, oversee the full transfer of SPMS to the AMU C&P Subaward/Partnership team for ongoing oversight and maintenance;
- Work closely with the Sr. Director of Compliance and Policy, the AMU C&P Head of EU Donor Compliance and IRC stakeholders to ensure the ongoing refinement and regular updating of SPMS, keeping in mind practicality of implementation and major donor guidelines and consistent application of the SPMS;
- Engage with field offices, regional teams, and technical units as needed to provide input and develop solutions on subaward matters including partner solicitations, partner evaluation and selection, and partner monitoring. Working through the OTIS system, conduct and oversee the review of all pre-subaward documentation and subaward instruments for compliance with donor and IRC policies and procedures;
- Work with Program Development to design subaward guidance during the pre-award phase and as needed, provide pre-award assessment support during subaward-intensive proposals including dispatching staff when appropriate and funded;
- Collaborate with AMU Compliance and Policy Donor experts in developing, consistently updating and rolling-out tools (including through multi-media), templates and guides for Subaward/Partner development, execution and management and ensure latest versions available on RescueNet;
- Collaborate and contribute in the development of AMU’s C&P’s RescueNet pages and an Award Management System from the Subaward/Partnership perspective to ensure that it is compatible with IRC policy and includes SPMS as a component;
- Advise senior leadership on the progress of subaward management throughout the organization and any major risks identified;
- Trouble-shoot issues as they arise; respond to partnership questions/inquiries from donors/staff/partners with input, as necessary from the AMU C&P Donor specific Compliance Specialists;
- Oversee the redesign of the SPMS Helpdesk into a service/incident tracking system and manage the SPMS Helpdesk – Subaward.email@example.com – providing advice and guidance, tracking issues of need to identify training, tool and resource needs.
- Serve as a SME and work with the Enterprise Resource Process Management Team, Information Technology Team and the AMU Strategic Partnerships and Analytics Team in the integration of SMPS, all subawards and supporting documentation, etc., are searchable data points in internal tracking systems;
- Working with the AMU Sr. Director of Compliance and Policy and the Director of Training and Curriculum, serve as the SPMS/subaward SME and lead or assist in the development, enhancement of and participate in SPMS trainings for all of IRC and partners (as necessary);
- Directly supervise and mentor/train a field facing team of 1-2 staff who are responsible for providing exemplary global support in subaward management;
- When necessary, as required by the Sr. Director of AMU C&P, assist in the review of new awards terms and conditions as well as other duties that may be assigned.
Key Working Relationships
Position reports to: AMU Sr. Director of Compliance and Policy
Position directly supervises: Compliance Officer, Subawards & Partnerships
Other Internal and/or external contacts: AMU Compliance and Policy staff, AMU Pillars, Ethics and Compliance Unit, Finance, IRC UK and other European offices, US Programs, Technical Units, and International Programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Admin, Finance, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred. Legal background a plus.
- 7 – 10 years of relevant professional experience highly preferred work experience with US Government, UK Government, European Union, multilaterals (UN/WB) and Foundations
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in interpreting and applying statutory and regulatory language from awards and contracts from multiple donor type in order to develop partner facing subawards and Subcontracts.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in Subaward Systems development and maintenance
- Developed understanding of business and partnering standards required to create a high performing and accountable environment
- Demonstrated knowledge and prior experience working with a variety of donors – USG (USAID, HHS, DOS, etc.,), DFID, ECHO, EU, SIDA, etc. Specifically knowledge and ability to apply the FAR, 2 CFR 200, 22 CFR 228, DFID Smart Rules, EU and ECHO General Conditions and Special Conditions, etc.
- Previous experience in developing donor compliant partnering tools, templates and trainings in multicultural setting
- Previous experience with international non-profit organizations preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, including the ability to effectively and diplomatically negotiate with donors, partners and co-workers
- Excellent customer service skills
- Solid organizational skills;
- Ability to work well under pressure in a fast-paced team environment and prioritize accordingly;
- Strong interpersonal skills: the ability to work productively both independently and in a team environment;
- Flexible work attitude and ability to meet unexpected demands;
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email/internet software.
- Standard office work environment with the ability to work independently and remote part time.
- Ability to travel up to approximately 30% of time
How to apply:
Please apply on our site: https://rescue.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=1&c=rescue&id=832