Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 12 Dec 2017
Organisation : UNHCR
Job Title : Associate Advocacy and Communications Officer (GPC)
Duty Station : HQ- Geneva
Duration : 02 January 2018 to 31 December 2018
Contract Type : International Individual Contractor Agreement (IICA)
Contract Level : IICA – 1
Closing date : 12 December 2017
The GPC Operations Cell ensures ongoing liaison with all GPC partners at global and field level.
In particular, the role of the Operations Cell is to provide the GPC Coordinator and GPC partners with the capacity to follow critical inter-agency processes, contribute to policy and standard setting on protection issues and implement and monitor the GPC work-plan, influencing planning and spearheading catalytic activities. At field level, the Operations Cell is a platform for providing advice to field protection clusters and assisting them trough in-country support missions. The GPC Operations Cell coordinates trainings on specific issues – Coordination and Leadership Learning (Co-Lead), Protection in Practice, Protection Cluster Coordination, Protection information Management or Cash. The Operations Cell also liaises with all participants in the GPC, in particular Field Protection Clusters’ Coordinators, AoR Coordinators and Task Team Leaders to perform global advocacy. It also engages with donors and mobilizes resources.
OVERALL PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF ASSIGNMENT
Under the direct supervision of the GPC Coordinator, the incumbent will be responsible, as part of the GPC Operations Cell, for providing support to the GPC Coordinator in carrying out his/her functions as well as directly assisting field protection clusters or other protection coordination mechanisms.
Develop key advocacy messages to strengthen the Centrality of Protection at Global and Field level;
Implement the GPC Operations Cell Communications Strategy in close collaboration with the GPC unit and partners aimed at the HQ and field protection clusters;
Draft and develop a GPC Advocacy Strategy together with GPC relevant partners on GPC work-streams; including AoRs and task teams, UNHCR innovation services and academia to create a stronger profile of the clusters’ work at global and country level;
Maintain and further develop GPC Website, uploading relevant documentation (i.e. field reports, toolbox, global guidelines) and including continuous liaison with other Global Clusters’ websites, in close collaboration with the IM officer;
Develop existing and support new communication and information channels such as social media platforms to reflect the changes and updates in tools, for advocacy campaigns and to increase the visibility of GPC activities in the field and at global level;
Write end-of-year analysis on digital presence of the Cluster which feeds into the GPC Annual Reporting;
Together with field protection clusters create country and operation specific awareness and social media campaigns, set up advocacy and communication strategy in new/reinforce the same in existing emergencies, through remote support or by undertaking field missions;
Coordinate development of GPC communications materials such as the GPC leaflet, maps for Field Protection Clusters, posters, thereby ensuring the GPC unit’s visibility through consistent branding, etc.;
Maintain document libraries, tools and guidance and coordinate timely and effective distribution to the field, and monitor the continuous development of the GPC Updates;
Ensure and monitor the provision of timely responses to inquiries received to the GPC email account (firstname.lastname@example.org);
Maintain the Field Protection Clusters Tracking Matrix, including monitoring and update of developments.
Protection activities/Operational support:
Provide timely support to Field Protection Clusters and other protection coordination mechanisms answering incoming requests and / or providing operational guidance, technical advice and, including on the Cluster Approach, protection cluster coordination, protection cluster strategies and Terms of Reference, the Humanitarian Programme Cycle, Strategic Response Plans, protection mainstreaming, and engagement with missions;
Support and coordinate, where appropriate, research and strategic planning on specific protection issues under the auspices of the GPC Work-plan;
Contribute to the drafting of minutes of relevant meetings and the GPC documents, when needed;
Update the GPC mailing lists on a regular and continuous basis;
Contribute to support function of GPC Operations Cell
Provide support to the GPC Coordinator and the Head of the Operations Cell regarding the organization and planning of GPC meetings, events, briefings and missions;
Establish and maintain GPC Operations Cell filing system; being the focal point for E-Safe
Provide input to and, where applicable, organize briefings and/or facilitate trainings on the work of the GPC and protection cluster coordination. Provide support in the engagement of the GPC in the Tri-Cluster (Global Shelter Cluster, CCCM and GPC) activities;
Support the supervision of a GPC Intern in relation to the implementation of the above mentioned activities.
Stay abreast of developments and initiatives that have an impact on the protection environment and humanitarian situations;
MONITORING AND PROGRESS CONTROLS:
· Develop 4 key advocacy messages to strengthen the Centrality of Protection at Global and Field level;
· The GPC Operations Cell Communications Strategy is implemented
· A GPC Advocacy Strategy is drafted and developed;
· The GPC Website is regularly updated
· Develop existing and support 2 new communication and information
· Write one end-of-year analysis on digital presence of the Cluster which feeds into the GPC Annual Reporting;
· Create two country and operation specific awareness and social media campaigns
· Set up two advocacy and communication strategies in new emergencies
· Coordinate development of two GPC communications materials through consistent branding, etc.;
· The Field Protection Clusters Tracking Matrix, is updated
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
· Advanced University Degree in Law, International Law, Political Sciences or related field with good knowledge of International Refugee, Human Rights and Humanitarian Law
· Minimum 2 years relevant professional experience of which 1 year in the field
· Experience with the Humanitarian Programme Cycle
· Experience with the Cluster approach
· Experience in communications/ advocacy
· Advocacy, Communications, Humanitarian protection, child protection, GBV, HLP, Mine Action, Humanitarian Programme Cycle, human rights law, international law, protection operations in the field, Spanish, English (required)
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Computer skills
- Protection Cluster coordination experience;
- Knowledge of the UN system and the humanitarian community, and familiarity with the Humanitarian Reform and Cluster Approach;
- Knowledge of the Programme and Project Management Cycle and/or Humanitarian Programme Cycle
- Knowledge of protection-related guidelines, standards and indicators;
- Diverse field experience in IDP and/or refugee operations.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language (French and Arabic would be an asset);
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit the required documents listed below by e-mail to HQDIPVAC@unhcr.org referring to Vacancy Number DIP/POSS/045/2017:
· Letter of motivation, addressing each of the personal requirements in the vacancy notice;
· Completed UN Personal History Form (P11) signed, including testimonials/degrees/certificates.
The UN personal History Form is mandatory;
P 11 forms are available on www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc
All application received without a P 11 will not be considered
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS 12 December 2017